Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Encouragement

This morning I attended my last monthly Operations Office Prayer/Devotional Time. Being a little sentimental, I tried my best not to tear up at the end. My eyes did get a little watery (I don't want to think about how I'll be on my last day of work).

Dr. Woodie Stevens gave the devotional and the passage he chose was of good timing:


"But now, this is what the Lord says...'Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not
sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze.'"

We also sang "How Firm a Foundation" together:

1. How firm a foundation, ye saints of the Lord, Is laid for your faith in His excellent word! What more can He say than to you He hath said— To you who for refuge to Jesus have fled?

2. “Fear not, I am with thee, oh, be not dismayed,
For I am thy God, and will still give thee aid; I’ll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand, Upheld by My gracious, omnipotent hand.

3. “When through the deep waters I call thee to go,
The rivers of sorrow shall not overflow; For
I will be with thee thy trouble to bless, And sanctify to thee thy deepest distress.

4. “When through fiery trials thy pathway shall lie,
My grace, all-sufficient, shall be thy supply; The flame shall not harm thee; I only design Thy dross to consume and thy gold to refine.

5. “The soul that on Jesus doth lean for repose,
I will not, I will not, desert to his foes; That soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake, I’ll never, no never, no never forsake.”

I'm also listening to an old Superchick album I found in my lunch box since Pandora won't let me listen anymore this month without paying $0.99. The song "Beauty from Pain" has always
been one I enjoy listening to. I'm not sure why. It's in a minor key and is a little dismal in parts, but I just like the sound of the song. Anyway, the words to the chorus are also good:

After all this has passed,
I still will remain
After I've cried my last,
there'll be beauty from pain
Though it won't be today,
Someday I'll hope again
And there'll be beauty from pain
You will bring beauty from my pain


And in my case, pain=stress.

Let's see... I'm also recalling a verse (thank you, Bible quizzing) that says, "Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom
he has given us." Romans 5:3-5

Thank you to everyone who has been encouraging me and offering your time and energy to help.











This is a photo I took at Shawnee Mission Park last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment