I'm sitting here wondering where I'll be job-wise in a couple of months.
Slightly jealous feelings are surfacing as I think about my friends who have a career, not just a job.
When I get to Homer, I'll have to find something my skills (I don't have many) are capable of doing in order to pay bills and obtain insurance. Due to the size of the town, I will probably have to take what I can get.
The question, "If you could have any job in the world, what would it be?" has often stumped me. What could I do for 8+ hours a day that would make me feel content and productive? I don't even have any consistent hobbies to claim.
On a couple of occasions, I've taken personality tests that give me a list of standard occupations other people like me enjoy. They all sounded boring or too stressful to me. I've even asked others what they think I'd be good at. No one knows.
Four years ago, I graduated with a degree in social work (after changing my major five times in four years). I have a compassionate side to me and felt I could find a rewarding job helping others less fortunate (or be in school for the rest of my life...I chose to graduate). Working one year as a homeless shelter case manager, I was burnt out. Instead of being empathetic for others' situations, I became cynical. That's not the kind of person I want to grow into.
Getting married to a pastor, I accepted the reality that I may have to work whatever job puts food on the table. But here I sit, wishing for more.
If I could have any job in the world, what would I do?
No comments:
Post a Comment