Ironing my clothes for work this morning, I decided to flip on the news to catch a glimpse of what is happening in the world outside Homer. It is unfortunate the story that was broadcasted while I was listening; it surrounded the upcoming royal wedding in England.
Two auctioneers were invited as guests as they featured a pair of Princess Dianna’s dresses, soon to be sold at a charity event. I was informed by these two men that her dresses are estimated to go for around $130,000. It literally made my stomach sick to think that much money is being tossed around for an article of clothing worn once by a celebrity when our world is in such desperate economic times. True, the money will be donated to a charity, but my frustration lies in the greed of people. The show reported other dresses have sold for just as much, not at a charity event.
My stomach lurched even more when I heard most of Dianna’s clothes were worn only once. What a waste of money! News reporters suspect the new princess will follow in Dianna’s footsteps when it comes to fashion.
As most of this exchange and waste of money is happening in another part of the world and should not directly affect me, I’ve always had compassion for those in need—thus my social work degree. I guess it just bothers me that people are so selfish with their excess money when there’s an obvious need.
Jesus taught us to love and the mindset of people all over the world has strayed so far from what he taught while he walked the earth. Instead of focusing on others, focus is turned inward.
Living in Homer, as a small town off the beaten path (at the end of the road, actually), the culture is such that neighbor helps neighbor. I’ve gotten comfortable with this way of life and enjoy helping others. I always have. That’s why is boggles my mind to learn about something so opposite of what I know. Call me sheltered, call me too sensitive, but this is what’s running through my mind.
It’s rare I watch the news these days for this reason. Too much of the current events reflect the deception of the devil. It’s either heartbreaking or frustrating.
No comments:
Post a Comment