Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Make Life An Adventure

In my time pondering, I often wonder why other people lead a more exciting life than I do. Even in the little things of life, I observe others having a good time. These thoughts often flood my brain when I'm surfing Facebook, flipping through pictures someone posted to their profile.

And then I catch myself and remember, "I LIVE IN HOMER, ALASKA! Adventure is on my doorstep!"

So, what's my problem?

I've decided to blame it on my personality. It's just not a natural part of who I am. I'm better at observing than acting. I find fulfillment working behind the scenes than on center stage. I'm not a risk taker, I'm a rule follower. Therefore, it's not my first nature to make every moment of life exciting. It's more natural for me to be concerned about being productive; I'm very task-oriented. And sometimes I get so stuck in that routine that life goes by without much excitement.

Another characteristic of my personality is judging (ISFJ...J for judging). This simply means I like to observe people and situations. I take what I see and analyze it. And this is where my opinions of other peoples' life seem to form: I tell myself everyone else has something exciting happening to them and I'm sitting at home just trying to keep up with the dishes. I sometimes fall into an attitude of self-pity when this happens.

What I need to realize, however, is life has to be made into an adventure. Most people don't spontaneously have adventure just happen to them. Those who live exciting lives go about living with a certain attitude. It's their state of mind. It's the little things they allow themselves to enjoy. And when the big things come around, life is even more grand!

So, my goal is to stop wallowing in self-pity while looking at others' lives and work at changing my mode of thinking. I will always be a introverted (ISFJ...I for introversion) person because I can't change the foundation of my personality, but I can always work at training my mind to react to situations with a more exciting perspective.

My new motto is: Make Life An Adventure

...because adventures aren't going to come and seek me out. I have to cause them to happen.

4 comments:

  1. I had that sense that everybody else was off having a great adventure all of the time, too. It's almost disappeared since I quit Facebook. I really can't believe what a difference that's made in my entire mentality. I may reactivate my account someday, but for now I'm enjoying my relative contentment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you don't mind my opinion!! You left a safe comfortable life...as I gather, you made your education a valuable tool, took your spirituality to your heart and mind...traveled to far away places...KC...etc....fell in love with a seeker of truth...and when all the ducks were in a row, you took off with him (a superior choice, if I may add) into the wild blue yonder (Homer) and with very little of this world's security, became a pioneer.

    Do you have any idea how that "looks" to someone else?...You ARE an adventurer! One of my favorites! Why don't you write a book...and let me be one of your critics!! ...and since I am not sure how this will be signed...it's me, Nicky

    ReplyDelete
  3. But we did come seek you out.....and adventure we had!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally understand! I'm an ISFJ too. Changing your thinking is harder than it seems.

    ReplyDelete