Thursday, May 20, 2010

Two of My Favorite Things: Music and Outdoors

I can’t help but feel cheerful when the sun is shining and an upbeat tune is streaming from my stereo. When I look out the window to my left, I see that green hue glowing in the sun as the leaves sprout from the branches and reach for the sky. To my right, I take in the bright blue reflection of sky and mountains on the bay water.

And if I knew how to dance, I’d be moving my feet to the rhythm booming from the bass sitting near by on the floor. I confess I’ve tried more than once, but quickly feel embarrassed when I realize all I can do is the hokie dance, kicking my feet around. Even my dog looks at me with a confused expression on her face. Yet, sometimes it’s just necessary to release the excitement.

Singing along with the music also brings joy to my heart. The only instrument I know how to play is my vocal chords. And when the music is turned up real loud, I actually sound pretty good. The real artists cover my mistakes and we sing in harmony.

On a side note, I had the pleasure of rooming with someone in college who unashamedly would turn up the music and sing at the top of her lungs (usually in the shower). Such glee would come from those moments. I chuckle when those memories arise in my mind. She may have rubbed off on me a little. ;)

The song that urged me to share this blog came from Selah’s album Greatest Hymns. I enjoy the poetry of old hymns and many have a foot-tapping beat to accompany. Selah’s “There is Power in the Blood” stirs up a little excitement. The only way listen to this song, however, is with the bass at a healthy level and the volume cranked up so you can’t hear the phone ring.

Perhaps some of the excitement I feel from listening to music at this level comes from my participation on our district’s teen worship team in high school. We’d often get together to “practice” and have a great time jamming together. In addition, my brother (the best drummer I know) also played on the team so my ear often picks up the drum line, causing me to think of him. I’m not exactly sure how to explain it, but my experience from being part of a band often influences how I hear music. I still like to feel it, I guess. To be a part of the music. It makes me happy.

Thus, I am thankful for the days of delight that come my way ‘cause life has its share of stress and heartaches. "A cheerful heart is good medicine…" Proverbs 17:22

To take it a step further, my media player has moved onto Selah’s song “Be Thou Near to Me”. The chorus makes my heart well up with praise to God:

“And the holy voices sing hallelu.
Ever will my reign be.
As I wonder through this life,
O Lord, be thou near to me.”

A similar feeling of overwhelming awe and joy and praise comes when I'm standing at the top of a mountain looking out over multiple other peaks and into the valleys below. My heart screams the "awesomeness" of God's creation.

O Lord, my God,
When I in awesome wonder
Consider all the worlds thy hands have made.
I see the stars
I hear the rolling thunder
Thy power throughout
The universe displayed

If you've not experienced this, PLEASE let me take you hiking! I even know of some places accessible by car.

No comments:

Post a Comment