Take a deep breath. That extra intake of air feels good deep in your lungs, doesn't it? It begins to wash your stress away. There are instances in life where we need to simplify a moment in time and forget about the the stressful things consuming our attention.
This morning I stole away to the beach following an early trip to the grocery store. I shut off my engine and listened to the small waves crash onto the sand. The bay was still and I longed to climb into a boat and push off from shore letting the deafening silence, where no machines hummed in the background, take over my senses. I wanted to pretend nothing else existed except peace in that moment.
Why is that so hard to do? Sometimes I blame it on the American culture. But, really, I am responsible for my own actions. I confess I was only partly satisfied with my attempt. I had no boat and there was the nagging of my To Do list once I arrived home. While I felt my smile muscles start working with no conscience effort when the sun began shining over the mountain, I still did not find that ease that rests in a peaceful soul.
The good thing is, I know where/how to find it. Living in such a beautiful place lends itself to those moments of bliss. And I know the One who can sustain that peace beyond just a moment in time.
Perhaps I'll make another attempt today.
No comments:
Post a Comment