December 2009 is closing and I can testify it's been an eventful year. Three hundred and sixty days ago, I was getting used to writing 2009. Now I'm getting used to being a pastor's wife. Big change in pace. Yet, I'm just still me. I like to give my dog kisses, I still check Facebook more than I should, and I still somehow burn my grilled-cheese sandwiches.
While I am still just as human as the rest of the world, I've learned a few things. I loathe editing theology papers at midnight. I enjoy capturing nature's beauty in my camera. I am content being a homemaker. I enjoy the outdoors very much. And prayer really IS powerful.
Satan is good at deceiving people, but thankfully the Holy Spirit serves as a conscience, or a plumb-bob, if you will. I am thankful Christ gives us strength when we are in our weakest moments. And I am thankful for the joy felt in our strongest moments. I have heard it is only a taste of what is to come. Eternity with God will be indescribable.
Moving to a new home is always life-changing, but the responsibilities that come with leading a church are even more so. Upon arriving in Homer and seeing the reality of our new life, I felt humbled and unqualified. In fact, I have not yet escaped these feelings. What has changed, however, is my trust in Christ. Upon leaving Kansas City, I was given advice to "just be you in Him." God takes care of the rest. I've been blessed to see this begin to come to fruition.
Recently I became aware of the apprehension a few of the church members had about a young, inexperienced couple coming to lead a small, hurting church. During a recent prayer and praise time, we received their blessing and another confirmation that God wants to use us in this wonderful, small town. Because we are ourselves in Him and are humbly trusting God to be our strength during this time of learning, we are able to minister to the Nazarene family and be a blessing to them. In fact, I believe Jon has earned respect by being a humble leader and admitting he doesn't know everything, that we can all learn from each other.
Although I've lived in Alaska before, it's different this time around. Some of the things we're becoming accustomed to in this town at the "end of the road" include dump self-service, beach sand retrieval (for the icy driveway), ice cleats, dog-preying eagles, barged milk, and no Wal-Mart.
Living in a city, greater emphasis is placed on the newest technology and where to buy it. Homer, however, is more of a thrifty artist's community. People are encouraged to be creative and I've sensed the independence of spirit here, which is challenging in a spiritual sense because many
have their own off-balance religious beliefs (or none at all). Nevertheless, it's neat because the community is more relaxed (probably because it's a small town); fads aren't as important here and people are comfortable being themselves. I've personally felt more at ease because I can dress comfortably and not feel like I'm being judged by my appearance.
Another reality I've been faced with is loneliness. Winter can often be a difficult time to become established in an Alaska community. Many stay indoors and there aren't as many community functions happening. There's a saying that you don't know what you have until you lose it. I didn't realize how many friends I had in Kansas until I moved away. I'm secretly hoping I'll get to see them again--maybe even as they vacation in Alaska! Nevertheless, I feel blessed to have made new friends in Homer. The church has welcomed us warmly and many of our favorite times are when we get together to fellowship. Yet, because I'm currently unemployed, I spend many long days at home while Jon works. Knowing I wanted some additional interaction, God blessed me with a friend who attends the Alaska Bible Institute. She and her husband are originally from Nikiski, but are here during the week for school. So, when she's finished with classes for the day, we'll occasionally get together to jog down on the spit or visit the local thrift stores. I'm eager for them to return from Christmas break. :)
While we know God is working here, there have been times where discouragement tries to creep in. Since beginning our ministry three months ago, we have lost a handful of young people simply because they've moved out of town. Just this week, we learned our guitar player will be gone for the next few months. Our numbers are growing smaller, yet we know God has a plan. We pray daily for his guidance and how we can begin reaching our community. Another life lesson I'm currently learning is patience. I must wait on God.
We appreciate everyone's thoughts, words of encouragement, and prayers. Please come visit! And let me pass on the advice I was given, "You just be you in Him."
Happy New Year!
*smile*
ReplyDeleteYou crossed my mind earlier today, so I took a couple of minutes to pray for you. I'm glad to hear that things are good and hopeful. :)
ReplyDeleteHi Lindsay, what is the name of the church Jon is preaching at in Homer? I have a cousin living in Homer with a husband and baby that I'd like to send your way. This is Joanna Russell (Salisbury), went to NNU with you guys, I married Guy Russell. It's been a long time! I was glad to come upon your blog :) Hope you guys are doing well, and Happy 2010!
ReplyDelete