While being home in Alaska is exciting, I'm still a little shocked that I'm actually here. I was commenting to Jon the other day that it's still a little surreal. Growing up, I secretly wished I'd someday get to live by the ocean. And I longed for these beautiful mountains while living in the great plains. I'm flabergasted that God would be so loving as to gift me with both of these dreams. But I also know the task he's given me will be anything but cake.
Homer Nazarene has a wonderful core group of people. We enjoy every moment we spend with them in fellowship. We're soon re-establishing a Wednesday night Bible Study so that we'll have another opportunity in the middle of the week to be with one another.
In the nearly 2 months we've been in town, we've been both blessed and humored by things happening around us. Here are a few quick examples:
Upon entering a trendy-looking coffee shop with a new friend, the garb of the barista quickly catches my eye. He's decked out in red sweatpants and rubber boots. I'm pretty sure he hadn't combed his hair that morning either. He was quite friendly and made some delicious chai tea, but I smiled to myself as I knew I'd never see something like that in the city.
There is a homeless man in town that I often feel sympathetic for, but his chosen career gives me a little chuckle. It makes me think: Only in Alaska... You see, he strolls the street swith a suitcase in one hand. Big letters on the outside advertise Chipped Windshiel Repair. I hope he makes good money because it is uncommon to be a resident of this great state without having a chip or crack in your windshield. It's just part of the culture. Often the cold winters and shifting of the car on bumpy, rocky roads will be cause for a little damage. Some say you're not truely an Alaskan if you don't have a cracked windshield. But anyway, I quickly realize this is a sight I would never find in the lower 48. Many homeless simply carry a cardboard sign asking for money.
Jon and I are beginning to experience and be affected by the darkness. It's a discipline to get out of bed in the morning when it's still pitch black outside. The sun doesn't come up until after 9am and goes down around 5. As the winter progresses, the daylight will become less. I no longer have need of my sleeping mask to shut out the light. However, I'll keep it around for the summer.
Speaking of darkness, we still haven't figured out how to turn on the church's outside lights. The cross and sign aren't lit (they're supposed to be) and the lights by the doors don't even come on. We've found a switch and a broken timer in a hidden room (dubbed the "upper room"). An electrician is scheduled to come figure it out because we know the lightbulbs aren't broken. Today Jon figured out how to turn the exit signs back on. They are controlled by one of those switches that take a flat metal key. Of course, the key is no where to be found, so he jabbed a nail into the switch with some pliers and moved it up and down. Wa-la.
One of Homer's restaurants has a "local's night" where all their food is half-price. You won't find this anywhere else. We have yet to go. And we have a movie theater, too. It has one screen and only shows 1-2 movies a day. That's also on the To-Do list. We're waiting for a good movie.
Our dog is considered eagle food. Every time we take her out to go "potty" we have to keep our eyes peeled. There used to be a lady down on the Spit who fed eagles all winter. There'd be hundreds of the birds in one place feeding on salmon. She passed away this year (plus there is now a law against feeding them) and now the eagles look elsewhere for food. There are stories of other dogs taking flight.
The bears are in hibernation, but we're told they frequent our yard in the summer. They have even been known to stroll up onto the deck. We have yet to see one. Not sure if I should be excited or scared.
This isn't new to me, but it's part of the Alaska culture. If you ever come visit, take note that it's a custom to take your shoes off at the door. Alaska is often muddy, snowy, slushy outside so it's a good idea not to track it all over the house. Some people have a pair of slippers that are solely used for wearing at other people's houses.
Last night I attended a bonfire on the beach with some friends. It was dark, cold, and windy: 17 degrees to be exact. It was crazy, fun, and I stood very close to the fire. Afterwards everyone came back to our place for a hot drink and some cookies. We like having people over. And I like to feel my toes.
Some of the blessings include a brand new set of studded tires...on rims. The Soldotna Church blessed us with this gift before the snow began to fall. And the Nikiski Church has gifted our church with some early Christmas money to help with expenses while our numbers are low. We have really felt the love and support from the other churches around the district. I have to brag on these churches up here. The fellowship and friendship between the Alaska District churches is like none other. While many churches in the lower 48 hardly talk to each other, the churches up here have a bond. Being in Alaska, the atmosphere is different. Both inside and outside the church. Everyone watches out for each other because often immediate family is so far away. Your neighbors and fellow citizens become your family.
We have also felt blessed by the prayers of our friends and family. Many people have told us we are in their prayers, and we believe them. Thank you. We really feel the support. And we have witnessed God's watchcare over us. It's been faith-building to see prayers answers...even prayers that were not spoken. God knows our needs.
I'm sure not many have made it to the bottom of this blog. I tend to get long-winded.
So, until next time...
I am glad to hear you are doing well. I hope you get your lights fixed. Enjoy that snow. I wish we had some here.
ReplyDeleteGlad that all is well! Love you both!
ReplyDelete